Every week, new people make Sugar Creek their church home by becoming church members. We call this process joining the church. Perhaps you are considering joining Sugar Creek but don’t know where to start. The following is some information to help you. If you still have questions, please contact any of our ministers who will be happy to talk with you about church membership.
There are generally five things that we ask of our church members.
1. Know Jesus Christ as your personal Savior – we desire all of our members to have a personal relationship with Jesus.
2. Be Baptized by Immersion – Jesus asked us to be baptized after we come to know him as Savior. We don’t believe that baptism is required for salvation, but it is something that Jesus asked us to do and therefore we require it for church membership. We believe that immersion is the biblical definition of baptism. If you know Christ as Savior but have never been baptized, we would be delighted to baptize you at Sugar Creek. Each week people are baptized in our services.
Learn more about baptism here.
3. Get involved in Bible Fellowship – every Sunday morning, there are two things taking place on our campus. One is our large group worship service, and the other is Bible Fellowship. We desire for all of our members to participate in Bible Fellowship. Why? Because that is the place where this large church becomes small enough to meet your needs. You can’t get the whole Sugar Creek experience unless you are a part of Small Groups.
4. Find a place to serve in ministry – There are so many opportunities to serve at Sugar Creek, there is no reason that everyone can’t find a place where they fit. We believe the church only functions correctly when all of its members are serving God together.
5. Maintain a lifestyle that upholds the moral principles God expects from His children – No one is perfect. No one in our church is perfect. At the same time, there are some basic moral truths in the Bible that God requires from us about sexuality, honesty and how to treat others. We ask our members to live a lifestyle of sexual and moral purity in accordance to the standards of God’s Word.
So that’s it! If you would like to talk to someone further about joining our church, you have two options:
1. Come forward during the invitation – at the end of each worship service on Sunday Morning, we offer a time of invitation where you can come forward to talk with someone about joining the church.
2. Contact one of our ministers – if coming forward on Sunday isn’t your thing, feel free to visit the Next Step Center in the foyer after any service or contact any one of our ministers. We’ll be happy to discuss other ways in which you can join our community. You may always call the church office at 281.242.2858 and they can direct you to someone that can help.