Part 5 – The Battle of Armageddon (2 Thessalonians 2:8; Revelation 19:17-21)
May 6, 2018 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
1.THE HISTORICAL CONTEXT OF THE BATTLE OF ARMAGEDDON.
A. The Bible describes 6 major events that are tied to the Second Coming of Christ:
1. The world will grow progressively worse.(Matthew 24)
2. The true church of Jesus Christ will be raptured away and will experience our own judgement for believers. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; 1 Corinthians 5)
3. There will be 7 years of tribulation in which the world will see the emergence of a great world leader the Bible calls the Anti-Christ.(Daniel 7,8,9,11; Revelation 6-19)
4. At the end of the 7 years, Christ will return.The Battle of Armageddon will then happen and will result in the immediate defeat the Antichrist at the Battle of Armageddon.(Revelation 19; 2 Thessalonians 2:8)
5. After this will come a 1000-year reign on this earth called the Millennial Reign of Christ.(Revelation 19, 20)
6. A new heaven and earth will begin.(Revelation 21-22)
B. 2 Thessalonians 2:8And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming.(NIV)
2.THE BATTLE OF ARMAGEDDON APPEARS TO BE AT THREE BATTLE SITES ALL OF WHICH TAKE PLACE IN ISRAEL.
A. The first of those 3 battlefields takes place in the Valley of Jezreel.
1. Isaiah 11:4…He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, and with the breath of His lips he shall slay the wicked.
2. 2 Thessalonians 2:8…the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth.
3. Revelation 19:19-21Then I saw the beast (antichrist) and the kings of the world and their armies gathered together to fight against the one sitting on the horse (Jesus) and His army (the church). 20 And the beast (antichrist) was captured, and with him the false prophet who did mighty miracles on behalf of the beast—miracles that deceived all who had accepted the mark of the beast and who worshiped his statue. Both the beast and his false prophet were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. 21 Their entire army was killed by the sharp sword that came from the mouth of the one riding the white horse (Jesus). (NLT)
B. The second battlefield is in the Valley of Jehoshaphat. (Joel 3)
Joel 3:1-2, 14-17For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem,2 I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the Valley of Jehoshaphat, and will judge them there for my people and for my heritage, Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land.14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision!For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision.15 The sun and moon will be darkened, and the stars no longer shine.16 The Lord will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem; the earth and the sky will tremble.But the Lord will be a refuge for His people, a stronghold for the people of Israel.17 Then you will know that I, the Lord your God, dwell in Zion, my holy hill.Jerusalem will be holy; never again will foreigners invade her.
C. The third and last battlefield is at Jerusalem itself.(Zechariah 12-14)
1. Zechariah 14:12 This is the plague with which the LORD will strike all the nations that fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh will rot while they are still standing on their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.
2. Zechariah 14:4On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south.
3.THE END OF THE BATTLE OF ARMAGEDDON WILL BRING A REVIVAL FOR THE JEWISH PEOPLE, THEY WILL ACCEPT CHRIST AS THEIR MESSIAH AND THEN THE 1,000 YEARS OF CHRIST’S REIGN ON THE EARTH WILL BE USHERED IN.
A. Zechariah 12:10-12And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.11 On that day the weeping in Jerusalem will be great, like the weeping of Hadad Rimmon in the plain of Megiddo.12 The land will mourn, each clan by itself…
B. Romans 11:25-27I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The deliverer will come from Zion; He will turn godlessness away from Jacob. 27 And this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins.”(NIV)