AS THE END COMES – 2 THESSALONIANS Part 7 – Last Words (2 Thessalonians 2:15 – 3:17)
May 20, 2018 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
1. STAND FIRMLY CONNECTED IN GOD’S WORDNO MATTER WHAT.(2 Thessalonians 2:15 -17)
A. 2 Thessalonians 2:15So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter. (NIV)
1. Proverbs 30:5-6Every Word of God is flawless;God is a shield to those who take refuge in Him.6 Do not add to His words, or He will rebuke you and prove you a liar.
2. John 17:17Sanctify them by the Truth; Your Word is Truth.(Jesus)(NIV)
B. 2 Timothy 3:16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness…
“The Bible will show you the right way to go.It will tell you where you off the track, how to get back on the track and how to stay going in the right direction.”
Pastor Mark recommends the Bible app called: iBible NOTE: This application has now changed names to Bible.is. More information can be found at http://www.bible.is/
2. PRAY FOR OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHRIST TO BE KNOWN.(2 Thessalonians 3:1-2)
A. 2 Thessalonians 3:1-3Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you.2 And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil men, for not everyone has faith.3 But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one. (NIV)
B. The more we pray for others, the more we are actually changed.
3. ENGAGE YOUR WORLD BY BEING LEVEL-HEADED AND RESPONSIBLE.(2 Thessalonians 3:6-15)
A. 2 Thessalonians 3:6-12And now, dear brothers and sisters, we give you this command in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ: Stay away from all believers who live idle lives and don’t follow the tradition they received from us.7 For you know that you ought to imitate us. We were not idle when we were with you. 8 We never accepted food from anyone without paying for it.We worked hard day and night so we would not be a burden to any of you.9 We certainly had the right to ask you to feed us, but we wanted to give you an example to follow.10 Even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “Those unwilling to work will not get to eat.”11 Yet we hear that some of you are living idle lives, refusing to work and meddling in other people’s business.12 We command such people and urge them in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and work to earn their own living.(NLT)
B. Live your life with personal responsibility.
1. Stand on your own two feet and work hard.
Ephesians 6:6-7Work hard, but not just to please your bosses when they are watching. As servants of Christ, do the will of God with all your heart.  Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.
2. Require others in your life to do the same.
2 Thessalonians 3:12We command such people and urge them in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and work to earn their own living.
2 Thessalonians 3:10Those unwilling to work will not get to eat.
3. The same Bible that teaches us to stand on our own two feet also teaches us to give liberally to the poor.
a. Proverbs 14:31Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but helping the poor honors Him.(NLT)
b. Proverbs 19:17If you help the poor, you are lending to the LORD— and He will repay you! (NLT)
4. Stay out of other people’s business.
2 Thessalonians 3:11Yet we hear that some of you are…meddling in other people’s business.
C. Stay level headed about the subject of the Second Coming of Christ.
1. Don’t go crazy about the subject of the Second Coming.Let it be one of the many topics you learn but don’t get it out of balance in the whole sphere of the Christian life.
2. Let the subject of the Second Coming do what it was intended to do, keep your heart pure and focused upon God.
1 John 3:2-3 Dear friends, we are already God’s children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears.But we do know that we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He really is. 3 And all who have this eager expectation will keep themselves pure, just as He is pure.(NLT)