Part 4 – Your Character Will Be Your Legacy Philippians 1:27
January 31, 2021 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
A. Philippians 1:27 Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ; so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.
B. If you have committed your life to Christ, you are a citizen of heaven.You have not arrived at heaven yet, but you belong there.
Philippians 3:20 …We are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for Him to return as our Savior.
C. Live like heaven is your home and God is your Heavenly Father.Live like you are a member of God’s very own Family.
1. DEVELOP A LIFESTYLE OF CHARACTER.
A. The word character refers to the moral strength and courage of a person.Character begins with this attitude:Life is not just about me and my wants.Life is about doing the right thing in God’s eyes.
B. The key test of character is what we call the Golden Rule:Do unto others as you would want them to do to you.
1. Mark 6:20And Herod respected John (the Baptist), knowing that he was a good and holy man, and so he kept him under his protection. Herod was disturbed whenever he talked with John, but even so he liked to listen to him.
2. Proverbs 21:21He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and respect.
C. How do you grow character?
1. Make the decision that a person of character will be who you are.
2. Determine that you will grow stronger in character every day.
a. 1 Timothy 4:7-8 …train yourself to be godly.
b. Daniel 1:8 But Daniel resolved not to defile himself…
3. Expect to be tested.
4. Be willing to pay the price for character.
2. LIVE WITH INTEGRITY.BE A PERSON OTHERS CAN TRUST.
A. Proverbs 11:3People who can’t be trusted are destroyed by their own dishonesty.
B. Proverbs 22:1A good name is worth more than great riches.
C. Proverbs 2:7God is a shield to those who walk with integrity. (NLT)
D. Psalm 101:2 …I will lead a life of integrity in my own home. (NLT)
E. What does it mean to live with integrity?
1. Tell the truth completely.
2. Tell the truth consistently.
3. Tell the truth with kindness.
Ephesians 4:15Speak the truth in a spirit of love.
3. DO SOMETHING THAT BENEFITS OTHERS.
A. 1 Peter 4:10God has given each of you some special abilities.Be sure to use them to help each other.
1. Matthew 20:26-28 …Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave –28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve…
2. Matthew 23:11-12The greatest among you will be your servant.12 For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
3. Have a purpose greater than yourself.
B. Proverbs 11:27 If your goals are good, you will be respected. (GNT)
C. Luke 6:38 Give and it shall be given back to you, good measure, pressed down and running over shall others give into your lap…