Part 7 – The Return of the King Revelation 19:11-16; 20
May 23, 2021 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
Matthew 26:64 …But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.
Matthew 24:27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
1. WHEN KING JESUS RETURNS, WHAT WILL HE BE LIKE?
A. Jesus will come out of heaven as a conqueror. (Revelation 19:11)
Revelation 19:11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True.
B. He is coming as a righteous judge. (Revelation 19:11b)
Revelation 19:11b …With justice He judges and makes war.
C. He comes as God in flesh. (Revelation 19:13; 19:16)
1. Revelation 19:13 …and His name is the Word of God.
2. John 1:1-2; 14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
3. Revelation 19:16 On His robe and on His thigh, He has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
2. WHEN KING JESUS RETURNS, WHAT WILL BE THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS?
A. All of us who have been raptured to heaven will come back with Him at His Second Coming. (Revelation 19:14)
Revelation 19:14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean.
B. Creation will respond to its Creator’s coming.
Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the distress of those days ‘the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’
C. All of those saved during the Tribulation who are still alive will be gathered to safety.
Matthew 24:31 And He will send His angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
D. All the world will see Jesus Christ appear physically at the same time.
1. Matthew 24:30 At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory.
2. Revelation 1:7 Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. Even so. Amen.
E. The Jewish people will finally realize Jesus was always the Messiah and they will now accept Him.
1. Zechariah 12:10-11 And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on Me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for Him as one mourns for an only child and grieve bitterly for Him as one grieves for a firstborn son. 11 On that day the weeping in Jerusalem will be great, like the weeping of Hadad Rimmon in the plain of Megiddo.
2. Israel will realize that Jesus was the Messiah all along and en-masse the Jewish people will turn to Him for salvation.
3. Romans 11:26-28 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: ‘The deliverer will come from Zion; He will turn godlessness away from Jacob. 27 And this is My covenant with them when I take away their sins.’ 28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs,…
F. The Battle of Armageddon will take place, the Antichrist and his forces will be defeated.
1. The battle of Armageddon takes place on two battle fields.
a. First, Christ will conquer the Antichrist in the Valley of Jezreel known as Megiddo, thus the name Armageddon.
b. Second, Christ will touch down on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. Zechariah 14:4 On that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south.
G. Satan will then be thrown into the bottomless pit. (Revelation 20:1-2)
Revelation 20:1-2 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2 He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.
3. WHEN KING JESUS RETURNS, WHAT WILL HIS KINGDOM BE LIKE?
A. Jesus will set up His Kingdom in Jerusalem. During the Millennial Reign of Christ, all those in the world will worship Jesus Christ.
Isaiah 2:2-3 In the last days, the mountain of the LORD’s temple will be established as chief among the mountains; it will be raised above the hills, and all nations will stream to it. 3 Many peoples will come and say, ‘Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob. He will teach us His ways, so that we may walk in His paths…’
B. During the Millennial Reign of Christ, Jesus will reign as the absolute authority on the earth.
Isaiah 2:3-4 …The law will go out from Zion, the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 4 He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples…
C. During the Millennial Reign of Christ, the world will finally know “Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men.”
1. Isaiah 2:4 …They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.
2. Isaiah 11:6-9 The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. 7 The cow will feed with the bear, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox. 8 The infant will play near the hole of the cobra, and the young child put his hand into the viper’s nest. 9 They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea.
D. During the Millennial Reign of Christ, people will have families and be involved in work without the hardships.
Isaiah 65:21-23 They will build houses and dwell in them; they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit. 22 No longer will they build houses and others live in them, or plant and others eat. For as the days of a tree, so will be the days of my people; my chosen ones will long enjoy the works of their hands. 23 They will not toil in vain, or bear children doomed to misfortune; for they will be a people blessed by the LORD, they, and their descendants with them.
E. During the Millennial Reign of Christ, the people will experience an incredible closeness to God.
Isaiah 65:24 Before they call, I will answer; while they are still speaking, I will hear.