HOW TO BUILD BETTER RELATIONSHIPS
Selected Bible Verses
January 12, 2020
Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
1. BEGIN WITH THE GOD WHO CAN MAKE YOU A BETTER PERSON.
A. “We Live With a God Shaped Hole In Our Hearts.” (CS Lewis)
B. 1 Timothy 2:5 Jesus Christ is the bridge between God and man.
Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ…
Romans 5:11 Now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God.
C. Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (NLT)
1. Allow Jesus to become Lord (boss) of your life.
2. Commit yourself to the risen Jesus.
2. DECIDE TO BE THE RIGHT KIND OF FRIEND.
A. Be a friend that is Loyal.
1. Proverbs 18:24 Some friendships don’t last, but some friendships are more loyal than brothers.
2. Proverbs 17:10 Do not forsake your own friend… nor go to your brother’s house in the day of your calamity. Better is a friend nearby than a brother far away.
B. Be a friend who puts others ahead of self. (Proverbs 17:17)
1. John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.
2. Philippians 2:3-4 Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. 4 Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. (NLT)
C. Be a friend who forgives.
1. Proverbs 17:9 Love forgives mistakes. Nagging about them parts the best of friends.
2. Friends who develop deep lasting relationships, walk away from the disappointment instead of walking away from the relationship.
D. Be a friend who treats others the way you want to be treated.
Matthew 7:12 So in everything, do to others as you want them to do to you.
3. DECIDE TO FIND THE RIGHT KIND OF PERSON.
A. Proverbs 27:19 A mirror reflects a man’s face. But what he is really like is shown by the friends he chooses.
B. Good friendships help you stay on the right path.
1. Proverbs 13:20 Become wise by walking with the wise; if you hang out with fools you will watch your life fall to pieces. (MSG)
2. “If you want to see what your life will look like 5 years from now, look at the books you’re reading and the people you are hanging around.” (Anonymous)
C. “My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.” (Henry Ford)
4. TAKE THE INITIATIVE WITH GOD AND OTHERS.
A. Begin a relationship with others.
1. Proverbs 18:24 A person who has friends must show himself friendly.
2. Be the person who initiates friendliness without expectations placed on the other person.
3. Luke 6:38 Give and it will be given to you, good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, they will pour into your lap. For whatever measure you give, it will be given back to you.
4. “You can make more friends in two months by becoming really interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.” (Dale Carnegie)
5. Be yourself. Be patient. Be reasonable.
B. Begin a relationship with God.
1. 1 John 4:10 This is real love — not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. (NLT)
2. Romans 5:11 Now we can rejoice in our wonderful relationship with God all because of what our Lord Jesus Christ has done in dying for our sins — making us friends with God!