DANIEL: STANDING STRONG Part 1 – An Overcoming Commitment (Daniel 1)
March 20, 2022 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
A. Daniel 1:3-4Then the king ordered Ashpenaz, chief of his court officials, to bring in some of the Israelites from the royal family and the nobility – 4 young men without any physical defect, handsome, showing aptitude for every kind of learning, well informed, quick to understand, and qualified to serve in the king’s palace. He was to teach them the language and literature (culture) of the Babylonians. (NIV)
B. Parents, you are the most powerful spiritual force in your children’s lives.They need to hear you talk about God.They need to see you reading your Bible.They need to catch you praying.They need to watch you living out the life.Parents, no one will have a greater impact on your children’s lives for God than you.
1. THE WORLD TRIES TO SQUEEZE US INTO ITS MOLD.
A. Romans 12:1-2I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. (NKJV)
B. Romans 12:2Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mold, but let God re-mold your minds from within…(Phillips NT)
C. Ashpenaz’s job was to brainwash these Jewish kids into becoming Babylonian converts, to shift their loyalties from the God of the Bible to the Babylonian culture.
D. Re-educate these children when they are small into the principles and values of the new culture.(Daniel 1:4)
1. Daniel 1: 4 …He was to teach them the language and literature (culture) of the Babylonians.
2. Parents who stop paying attention to their children’s education are making a terrible mistake.
2. TO DEVELOP AN OVERCOMING COMMITMENT, THERE ARE THREE THINGS THAT MUST HAPPEN WITHIN US.
A. Choose to put God first. (Daniel 1:8)
1. Daniel 1:8But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way.
2. Deuteronomy 6:6-9These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.7 Impress them on your children.Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.9 Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.
God said, “Part of being a godly parent is building God’s Word into the hearts of your children.”
B. Pay attention to the Hand of God in your situation.(Daniel 1:2, 9, 17)
1. Daniel 1:2And the Lord delivered Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, along with some of the articles from the temple of God.
2. Daniel 1:9Now God had caused the official to show favor and sympathy to Daniel,
3. Daniel 1:17To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds.
C. Know that God will find a way to deliver you.
Daniel understood that God was in control, so he stopped to consider the king’s goal.He helped develop an alternative plan.He approached the one in authority in a kind fashion and was willing to trust God with the outcome.Daniel demonstrated incredible maturity.