Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor September 20, 2020
1. OUR ABILITIES ARE ROAD SIGNS WHICH POINT US IN THE DIRECTION GOD WANTS US TO GO IN SERVING HIM.
A. No matter which part of the Body of Christ that you are, you are a necessary part of God’s mission to reach and disciple.
1 Corinthians 12:14-18Now the body is not made up of one part but of many.15 If the foot should say, ‘Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,’ it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body.16 And if the ear should say, ‘Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,’ it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be?If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?18 But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.
B. Since you are a part of Christ’s Body, how do you know what part of His Body you are?
C. God uses several factors to determine in which ministries He wants us to serve Him.
1 Corinthians 12:4-6There are different KINDSof spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit gives them.There are different WAYS of serving but the same Lord is served.There are different ABILITIES to perform service, but God gives ability to everyone for their service.(Good News)
2. THERE ARE SOME FACTS WE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT OUR ABILITIES.
A. Every ability we have has been given to us by God.
1. Romans 12:6God has given each of us the ability to do certain things well. TLB
2. Researchers have said that the average person has between 500 to 700 abilities.
B. 1 Corinthians 10:31Whatever you do, do it all for the Glory of God.
C. Our abilities show God’s direction for our life.
1. What you are able to do is a great indicator that it may be the ministry God wants you to take on right now.
2. Hebrews 13:21God will equip you with all you need for doing His will.
3. HOW DO WE DISCOVER THE ABILITIES GOD WANTS US TO USE TO SERVE HIM?
A. Take an honest assessment of the abilities God gave you.
Romans 12:3Try to have a sane estimate of your capabilities by the light of the faith God has given you.(Phillips)
B. Dedicate your abilities to God.
Romans 12:1Offer yourself as a living sacrifice to God, dedicated to His service and pleasing to Him.
C. Develop your skills.
1. Proverbs 19:8Do yourself a favor and learn all you can.Then remember what you’ve learned, and you will prosper.(Good News)
2. Ecclesiastes 10:10If the ax is dull and its edge unsharpened, more strength is needed but skill will bring success.
D. Find a ministry in which you can use what God has given to you.
1. 1 Peter 4:10God has given each of you some special abilities.Be sure to use them to help each other.
2. I am going to ask you to consider two questions:
a. Why has God brought you to this church?
b. How could doing what you can do make a difference at Sugar Creek?
3. Would you write an email or send a text to the member of our staff you were serving with before COVID-19, and ask in what way you can be used in ministry at Sugar Creek right now as we Dare To Start Again?