Part 6 – Dressed for A War Zone (Part 2 of 2) Ephesians 6:13-17
November 11, 2018 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
2 Corinthians 10:4 The weapons of our warfare are not physical but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds.
Ephesians 6:13-18 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (NIV)
Ephesians 6:16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith…(NIV)
A. Our Shield is referencing our personal trust in God.
1. 2 Samuel 22:31 As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him.
2. Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
B. The enemy’s arrows are temptations to disbelieve God. (Ephesians 6:16)
1. Ephesians 6:16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. (NIV)
2. Psalm 64:3 …(they) sharpen their tongues like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows; bitter words, that they may shoot in secret at the blameless.
3. Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
4. 1 John 5:4 …And this is the victory that has overcome the world; our faith.
5. How does a person demonstrate faith in God? Obedience.
2. HELMET –THE ETERNAL ASSURANCE OF A SECURE Salvation. (Ephesians 6:17a)
A. 1 Thessalonians 5:8 …we wear as our helmet the confidence of our salvation.
B. If we have truly accepted Christ as our Savior, we are safe because God tells us He will not throw us away.
1. John 10:27-30 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one. (NIV)
2. Romans 8:31, 38-39 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (NIV)
3. Hebrews 12:6 For the Lord disciplines those He loves, and He punishes those He accepts as His children. (NLT)
C. If we have accepted Christ, God reminds us that our “FOREVER” is with Him and ultimately we win!
1 Peter 1:4-5 For God has reserved a priceless inheritance for His children. It is kept in heaven for you, pure and undefiled, beyond the reach of change and decay. And God, in His mighty power, will protect you until you receive this salvation, because you are trusting Him. (NLT)
I will go to the Next Step Center and talk with a minister about receiving Christ as Savior.
This week I will hide behind the shield of my trust in God.
This week I will glory in my assurance of salvation in Christ.