Part 5 – How to Live Your Best Life Galatians 2:20
September 29, 2019 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
John 8:32, 36You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.If the Son sets you free, you will be truly free!.
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.(NIV)
1. THE SON OF GOD LOVED ME AND GAVE HIMSELF FOR ME.
A. Galatians 2:20 I live by faith in the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself for me.(NIV)
B. The Trinity (Father, Son & Holy Spirit) is not about 3 gods but 1 God who has shown Himself in three ways.
C. John 1:1-4; 14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His Glory, the Glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.(NKJV)
D. Matthew 1:21-23 And Mary will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins.” 22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.” (NKJV)
E. Jesus, God in flesh, came to give Himself for your and my salvation.
1. Luke 4:1Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert, (NIV)
2. Luke 4:14Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. (NIV)
3. Jesus came to die on a cross to pay the penalty for our sin.He came to give His life for you and me.
4. John 3:16For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.(NIV)
5. Jesus came to die motivated by His love for you.
F. Jesus died our death on the cross so that when death comes, it cannot harm us.
G. Without the substitutionary atonement of Jesus and His resurrection, we have no hope and we have no reason to be here.
H. Substitutionary Atonement means it should have been me who died for my own sins but instead Jesus died in my place in order to buy my salvation.
I. Three days later Jesus arose from the grave and He reigns forevermore in Heaven at the right hand of the Throne of the Father.
2. I HAVE BEEN CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST.(Galatians 2:20)
A. My old self (who I was before I accepted Christ) has been nailed to the cross of Christ so that it is no longer the old me who lives, but it is the new me – Jesus Christ lives inside of me.
B. Matthew 16:24-25 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.25 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for Me will find it.” (NIV)
C. “Deny” means to completely disown, to no longer count as important. The “self” Jesus is talking about is that part of our nature that seeks its own way.
D. Jesus is actually calling us to give up the throne of our life and allow God and His Word to guide our life.
E. A call to the cross is a call to suffer anything anyone brings against you because of your connection to Christ.If that means being disgraced in the eyes of others because of your love for Him… if that means being laughed at, ridiculed, appearing to be a failure – whatever it means… you are willing to take the derision from others to follow the will of God.
F. To take up your cross means that you die to:
1. The need for the approval of others.
2. The world’s definition of success.
3. I LIVE BY FAITH IN THE SON OF GOD.
A. Galatians 2:20…The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God…
B. Matthew 16:24If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.
We won’t do the “follow” unless we have first done the “deny self” and “taken up our cross”.
C. 1 Peter 2:21To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps.
1. John 8:31Jesus therefore was saying to those Jews who had believed in Him, “If you abide in My Word, then you are truly disciples of Mine…”
2. Abide means to set up a tent and live.It means to camp out in, to remain in. It means to draw life from, like a plant draws life from the nutrients of the soil.Jesus is saying that the proof that you are my disciple is that you love and obey what His Word tells you to do.
3. Isaiah 66:2But to this one I will look, to him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and whotrembles at My Word.
D. The proof we are following Christ is that we hear and obey God’s Word.