Part 6 – Living In The Power Of The Holy Spirit Galatians 3:1-14
October 6, 2019 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
Galatians 3:1-3You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? (NIV)
1. YOU CAN LIVE YOUR CHRISTIAN LIFE IN GOD’S POWER.
A. Everything you can say about God, you can say about the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit is God.
B. Galatians 3:14God redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit. (NIV)
1. Joel 2:28And afterward, I will pour out My Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. (NIV)
2. John 14:16-17And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it isn’t looking for Him and doesn’t recognize Him. But you know Him, because He lives with you now and later will be in you. (NLT)
C. The Holy Spirit indwells us.
1. Galatians 3:2Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?(NIV)
2. Romans 8:9However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
D. The Holy Spirit baptizes us into God’s family.
1. 1 Corinthians 12:13For we were allbaptized by one Spirit into one body – whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free – and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
2. 1 Corinthians 12:12-13,Each of us is a part of the one body of Christ. Some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves, and some are free.But the Holy Spirit has fitted us all together into one body. We have been baptized into Christ’s body by the one Spirit, and have all been given that same Holy Spirit.(TLB)
E. The Holy Spirit sanctifies us.
1. Galatians 3:3After beginning with the Spirit, are you now going to be made complete by the flesh? (HCSB)
2. The idea of sanctification is the work of the Holy Spirit in making us whole and holy.
3. God does not want us to be splintered and fractured and held down by our past.He wants us to be made complete.It is the job of the Holy Spirit to do that.He is making us whole and holy.
F. The work of the Holy Spirit in our lives is the work of the miraculous.
Galatians 3:5So then, does God supply you with the Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law or by hearing with faith?(HCSB)
G. The Holy Spirit opens our blind eyes and helps us understand the Bible.
1 Corinthians 2:12-14And God has actually given us His Spirit (not the world’s spirit) so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us.When we tell you this, we do not use words of human wisdom; we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths.But people who aren’t Christians can’t understand these truths from God’s Spirit.It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit, can understand what the Spirit means.(NLT)
H. The Holy Spirit guides us to the True North of our life.
Truth North is always the right direction for a Christ follower.
I. The Holy Spirit convicts us of sin.He prays for us, gives us spiritual gifts whereby we can serve God and others and even disciplines us when we are unrepentant.
J. The Holy Spirit gives us the power we need to do the work He has called us to accomplish.
2 Timothy 1:7For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. (NLT)
K. The Holy Spirit is a part of every aspect of Life Changefor a believer.
2. What is my part in the partnership with the Holy Spirit?
A. The power and effectiveness of the Holy Spirit within our life is in direct proportion to our surrender to Him.
B. What happens when we don’t surrender control of specific areas of our life to the Holy Spirit of God?
1. We can grieve the Holy Spirit by our disobedience and how we live our life.
Ephesians 4:30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
2. When we rebel against God, the Holy Spirit’s power is quenched within us.
a. 1 Thessalonians 5:19-28Do not quench the Holy Spirit;
b. To quench the Spirit is to put out or to stop what the Holy Spirit is wanting to do in our life.