Part 8 – You Are an Adopted Child of God Galatians 4:1-7
October 20, 2019 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
1. GOD INTENDED THE OLD TESTAMENT JEWISH LAW TO BE TEMPORARY.
A. Galatians 4:1-3What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate.2 He is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father.3 So also, when we were children, we were in slavery under the basic principles of the world. (NIV)
B. Galatians 3:19; 24-25Why, then, was the Old Testament law given?It was given alongside the promise (to Abraham) to show people their sins.24 Let me put it another way. The law was our guardianuntil Christ came; it protected us until we could be made right with God through faith.25 And now that the way of faith has come, we nolonger need the law as our guardian.
C. The Old Testament laws were intended to be a temporaryguardianuntil Jesus fulfilled and completed the purpose that the law was given to accomplish so we are now no longer under those laws.
2. AT THE PERFECT MOMENT, JESUS CAME TO PAY THE RANSOMFOR OUR FREEDOM
A. Galatians 4:4-5But when the set time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship.
B. There was a perfect time set by God to send His Son.
C. God waited to send the Messiah until He could reach the world with the gospel message.
D. Galatians 4:4But when the set time had fully come…
E. Jesus, the Son of God, is sent not created!
1. Galatians 4:4-5But when the set time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law…
2. John 1:1-3; 14In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.2 He was with God in the beginning.3 Through Christ all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made.14 The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us.We have seen His Glory, the Glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.(NIV)
F. Jesus came to redeem us.
Galatians 4:4,5But when the set time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those under the law…
1. The word “redeem” means to liberate from an oppressive condition.
2. 1 Peter 1:18-19For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
3. WE ARE NOT ONLY FREED FROM OUR BONDAGE, WE ARE ADOPTEDAS CHILDREN OF GOD.
A. Galatians 4:4-7But when the set time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law,5 to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship. 6 Because you are His sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.”7 So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are His child, God has made you also an heir.
B. God did not stop at having Mercy on us, He also had Grace on us beyond what was imaginable.
C. God did not just must make us free, He made us His children.
D. We who were once dead in our sins are now alive in Christ!To be adopted into the family of God points to the fact that God didn’t just save us, He chose us to be a part of His very own family.
E. According to Roman law a father could disown his own biological son but once he adopted a son, THAT son could never be disowned.An adopted son had more security than a biological son in the Roman Empire.
F. When the New Testament talks about us being a part of the family of God it is always as an adopted child.The idea of an adopted child is always presented in the concept of the 1st Century Roman law understanding of security.
G. God Himself adopted us into His family. He paid a high price, the price of His Son’s own blood.In doing so He wiped away our debt, our sins against God (Mercy).Then He gave us all the privileges, honor and inheritance to become a child of God (Grace).We had now been given a new name, we are now a new creation, we belong to a new family.Our place in God is secure, our future is certain, our inheritance cannot be taken away.He has now clothed us with His authority, His royalty and given us an inheritance that will never pass away.
H. Galatians 4:6Because you are His sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.”
I. Romans 8:15,16 …The Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by Him we cry, “Abba, Father.”16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
J. The name ‘Abba’ is the most intimate word in the Aramaic language to refer to your father. It means “daddy”.
K. Galatians 4:7So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are His child, God has made you also an heir.