Get a Grip: How to live in emotional freedom
Part 4 – Leaving Loneliness Behind
2 Timothy 4:6-22
March 4, 2018
Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
2 Timothy 4:6-11 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day – and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. 9 Do your best to come to me quickly, 10 for Demas, because he loved this world, has deserted me and has gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia. 11 Only Luke is with me. (NIV)
1. THERE ARE AT LEAST THREE REASONS WHY PEOPLE FEEL LONELY.
A. We feel trapped.
B. We have been betrayed or abandoned and are now alone. (2 Timothy 4:16)
1. 2 Timothy 4:16 At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me…
2. 2 Timothy 4:21 Do your best to get here before winter.
C. Our lives are threatened. (2 Timothy 4:6-7)
2 Timothy 4:6-7 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
2. HOW DO WE GET OUT OF LONELINESS?
A. Establish a proper balance between reliance upon others and reliance upon God. (2 Timothy 4:17)
1. 2 Timothy 4:17 But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength…
a. Isaiah 43:2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
b. Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
c. Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age.
d. Hebrews 13:5 …For He said, I will never leave you nor forsake you.
2. Sometimes we ask people to do for us what only God can do.
3. In balance, God also made us social creatures. We need others, too.
4. Stay balanced in our expectation of God and the needs He can meet and our expectation of others and the needs they can meet.
B. Keep growing in our personal life.
1. 2 Timothy 4:13 When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments.
2. Sometimes something familiar can give you a boost even if it is just a coat because of the good memories it invokes. Sometimes for us that could mean some pictures or videos or “things” from a happier time.
3. Part of overcoming loneliness is to set new goals, new challenges, and keep growing. We were built to be our happiest when we are learning and growing.
C. We have to focus on others. (2 Timothy 4:19-22)
1. 2 Timothy 4:19-22 Greet Priscilla and Aquila and the household of Onesiphorus. 20 Erastus stayed in Corinth, and I left Trophimus sick in Miletus. 21 Do your best to get here before winter. Eubulus greets you, and so do Pudens, Linus, Claudia and all the brothers. 22 The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.
2. One of the best ways to deal with loneliness is to refocus our life from ourselves to be a blessing to others.
3. Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
D. Put our heart on the eternal instead of just the temporary. (2 Timothy 4:8, 18)
2 Timothy 4:8, 18 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day – and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory forever and ever. Amen.
Action Steps this week …
- I will establish a healthy balance between relying on others and relying on God.
- I will keep growing, learning and setting new goals instead of giving in to loneliness.
- I will focus on others and helping people in need instead of giving in to loneliness.