March 11, 2018 Libin Abraham, Campus Pastor – Missouri City
A. Regret is the PASTintruding into your present to intimidate your future.
B. Three kinds of regrets:
Regrets of ACTION
Regrets of Inaction
Regrets of REACTION
C. Characteristics of Regret
Regrets ring louder than rewards
Regret removes CONFIDENCE
Regret leaks into every relationship
Regret keeps us STUCK in the past
EACH of us are like the rest of us
1 Timothy 1:12-17I give thanks to Christ Jesus our Lord who has strengthened me, because he considered me faithful, appointing me to the ministry— 13 even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an arrogant man. But I received mercy because I acted out of ignorance in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 This saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners”—and I am the worst of them. 16 But I received mercy for this reason, so that in me, the worst of them, Christ Jesus might demonstrate his extraordinary patience as an example to those who would believe in him for eternal life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. (CSB)
2. PAUL’S REGRETS
A.Paul HURT and even killed innocent people.
(Acts 8:2,3 Acts 9:1 Acts 9:26)
B.Paul had times when he was overtaken by SIN.
(Romans 7:9, 17, 24)
Most of our regrets have resulted from our attempts to fulfill our longings APART from God.
3. Releasing Regret
A. RESTATE your regret.
1. 1 Timothy 1: 13Even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an arrogant man, …
2. 1 Corinthians 15:9For I am the least of the apostles, not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
3. If what we feel guilty for is VAGUE, then what we are forgiven for will also be vague.
B. Repent for your REGRET.
1. 2 Corinthians 7:10Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.
2. James 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you may be healed.
3. We confess to God and to one another because the wound of our regret is RELATIONAL.
C. Receive MERCY for your past and Grace for your future .
1.1 Timothy 1:13-14But I received mercy because I acted out of ignorance in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
2. Isaiah 1:18Come, let’s talk this over, says the Lord; no matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can take it out and make you as clean as freshly fallen snow. Even if you are stained as red as crimson, I can make you white as wool! (TLB)
3. 1 John 1:8-9If we refuse to admit that we are sinners, then we live in a world of illusion and truth becomes a stranger to us. 9 But if we freely admit that we have sinned, we find God utterly reliable and straightforward—he forgives our sins and makes us thoroughly clean from all that is evil. (Phillips Translation)
4. If we don’t forgive ourselves for what God has already forgiven us of, then we regard ourselves HIGHER than God himself.
D. Allow God to redeem your regrets by REDEFINING your past.
1. 1 Timothy 1:16 But I received mercy for this reason, so that in me, the worst of them, Christ Jesus might demonstrate his extraordinary patience as an example to those who would believe in him for eternal life.
2. Philippians 3:13-14 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: FORGETTING what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead, 14 I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God’s heavenly call in Christ Jesus.
3. You are not defined by what you have done wrong but by what CHRIST has done right.
4. When God redeems your life, you are not refurbished but you are made NEW!
“You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” CS Lewis
Action Steps for this week …
° I will name my regret.
° Instead of rehearsing the past, I will receive forgiveness from God and release myself.
° I will tell someone I trust about my regret.
° I will allow God to redefine my past as a display of His Mercy and Gr