THE GOD WHO LOVES ME Part 3 – The Holy Spirit Our Helper
September 18, 2022 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
1. WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?
A. The Bible says that the Holy Spirit is God.
1. Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.(NASB)
2. Everything that can be said about God can be said about the Holy Spirit.
a. The Holy Spirit is eternal. (Hebrews 9:14) b. He is the creator. Genesis 1:2Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spiritof God was hovering over the waters. c. The Holy Spirit is all powerful, all knowing, and all present – He is God.
3. The Holy Spirit is a person. John 14:16-17 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever – the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you.
B. The Holy Spirit was active in the Old Testament. In every case, the Old Testament refers to the Holy Spirit as just coming upon someone for a defined purpose and then leaves them but in the New Testament the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within us forever.
2. WE ONLY KNOW GOD BECAUSE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
A. We are saved only because the Holy Spirit led us to salvation. John 16:8-11 When the Spirit comes, He will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 in regard to sin, because men do not believe in Me; 10 in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.
B. The Holy Spirit baptizes us into God’s family.
1. 1 Corinthians 12:13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body – whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free – and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 2. 1 Corinthians 12:12-13 Each of us is a part of the one body of Christ. Some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves, and some are free. But the Holy Spirit has fitted us all together into one body. We have been baptized into Christ’s body by the one Spirit, and have all been given that same Holy Spirit. (Living)
C. The Holy Spirit indwells my life. Romans 8:9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to God.
D. The Holy Spirit is the author of the Bible. 2 Peter 1:20-21 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (NIV)
3. THE HOLY SPIRIT IS OUR HELPER.
A. The Holy Spirit teaches us.
1. John 16:12-15 There is so much more I want to tell you, but you can’t bear it now. 13 When the Spirit of Truth comes, He will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on His own but will tell you what He has heard. He will tell you about the future. 14 He will bring Me glory by telling you whatever He receives from Me. 15 All that belongs to the Father is Mine; this is why I said, ‘The Spirit will tell you whatever He receives from Me.’ (NLT) 2. 1 Corinthians 2:12-14 And God has actually given us His Spirit (not the world’s spirit) so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us. When we tell you this, we do not use words of human wisdom; we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths. But people who aren’t Christians can’t understand these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit, can understand what the Spirit means. (NLT)
B. The Holy Spirit comforts us.
1. John 14:26 But when the Father sends the Comforter instead of Me — and by the Comforter I mean the Holy Spirit — He will teach you much, as well as remind you of everything I myself have told you. (TLB) 2. Jesus In Me (A book about the Holy Spirit by Ann Graham Lotz). “The Holy Spirit Himself has comforted me on every level, on every day – and not only in regard to Danny passing. Sometimes He has used a passage of scripture in my devotions to address some unspoken pain. Sometimes He has used another person’s seemingly random comment or email or text message. Sometimes He has used a thought or insight from a book I was reading or a sermon I was listening to.” (Ann Graham Lotz) 3. God will give you a peace when it would make sense to be falling apart. 4. When you know the Holy Spirit is your friend, that He is there for you as your advocate, that He helps guide you like a counselor and is your helper…then there is such a powerful comfort that comes sweeping into your heart.
C. The Holy Spirit empowers us to do God’s will. (Acts 1:8)
D. The Holy Spirit prays for us. (Romans 8:26-27)
E. The Holy Spirit produces in us Life Change in Christ. (2 Corinthians 3:17-18)
4. HOW DO WE TAP INTO THE HOLY SPIRIT’S POWER?
A. The power of the Holy Spirit within our life is comes in direct proportion to our surrender to Him.