Part 3 – Angels: God’s Secret Agents Ephesians 6:12
October 21, 2018 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
Ephesians 6:12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.(NIV)
Concerning a study about angels, Pastor Mark recommends Angels: God’s Secret Agents by Billy Graham.
1. ARE ANGELS PRESENTED IN THE BIBLE AS REAL OR AS FIGURATIVE BEINGS?
Angels are always presented in the Bible as real beings who have specific jobs to accomplish.
2. WHERE DO ANGELS COME FROM AND WHAT ARE THEY LIKE?
A. Where do angels come from?
1. Psalm 148:2, 5Praise Him, all His angels, praise Him, all His heavenly hosts…5 Let them praise the name of the LORD, for He commanded and they were created.(NIV)
2. Job 38:4-7Where were you (Job) when I laid the earth’s foundation?Tell me, if you understand.5 Who marked off its dimensions?Surely you know!Who stretched a measuring line across it?6 On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone –7 WHILE the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?(NIV)
B. What are angels like?
1. Angels were all created by God to be holy but were given a will to choose just like God gave us.
2. Angels do not age and do not die.
Luke 20:34-36 Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage.35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage,36and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels… (NIV)
3. They are limited in space.
4. Angels are more powerful physically than people but are not omnipotent.
5. They are intelligent creatures who can communicate; they are aware of history and sometimes they are given knowledge about events before they happen.
Luke 1:13-16But the angel said to Zechariah: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John.”(NIV)
6. Angels’ involvement on earth is usually invisible to us but they have the ability to appear.
2 Kings 6:15-17When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city.“Oh, my lord, what shall we do?” the servant asked.16 “Don’t be afraid,” the Elisha answered.“Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”17 And Elisha prayed, “O LORD, open his eyes so he may see.”Then the LORD opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.(NIV)
Hebrews 13:2Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.(NIV)
7. Angels can appear as a male, which is most of the Biblical references but they can also appear as a female as was the case of Zechariah 5:9.
8. God gave to angels greater authority than He gave human beings. (Hebrews 2:5-7)
3. HOW ARE ANGELS ORGANIZED?
A. Ephesians 6:12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.(NIV)
B. The Bible speaks of the highest angelic classification as being the level of Archangel.(Jude 9)
1 Thessalonians 4:16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.(NIV)
C. The Cherubim.
D. The Seraphim. (Isaiah 6:1-6)
E. The Guardian Angels are connected to us in helping us in need.
Matthew 18:10Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.
Hebrews 1:14Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?
4. WHAT ARE THE PURPOSES OF ANGELS?
A. The word angel actually means messenger.
B. They minister to God in worship and service.(Isaiah 6)
C. Angels are used to execute God’s judgment and purposes.
D. Angels are ministering spirits to believers.
Luke 16:22The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side.
Action Steps …
I will go to the Next Step Center after the service to talk with a minister about receiving Christ as Savior.
I will take the time to review the student notes I have taken today to better understand what the Bible teaches about angels.
Hebrews 13:2 tells me to, “not forget to entertain strangers for by doing so people have entertained angels without knowing it.” I will make a point to heed that word.