Part 5 – Dressed For a War Zone (Pt 1/2) Ephesians 6:13-15
November 5, 2018 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
2 Corinthians 10:4The weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds.
Ephesians 6:13-15Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that WHEN the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. (NIV)
A. Ephesians 6:14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist…
B. One of our church’s values is:Truth Matters.What we mean by Truth Matters is that because the Bible is God’s inspired Word, it is the source of truth for all people. (sugarcreek.net/our-mission)
C. 2 Timothy 3:16 (Paraphrase)“The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives; it straightensus out and helps us do what is right…”
D. The Bible changes our thoughts so it can change our actions.
E. Romans 12:2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but let your minds be remade, and your whole nature thus transformed.
F. Here are some truths available to grab hold of:
1. God loves you.
2. God disciplines our wrongs but He doesn’t throw us away.
3. God forgives us and wipes the slate clean when we genuinely turn away from our sins.
4. God knows exactly the difficulties you are going through and will turn it for good in your life so don’t panic.
5. Greater is the Holy Spirit who is in you than your enemy who is in the world.
6. In Christ, you are a child of God.The ultimate victory has already been won.You will come out on top.
7. You have been accepted by God not because of what you do, but because of what Christ has already done for you on the cross.
2. BREASTPLATE –WEAR RIGHTEOUSNESS LIKE A BULLETPROOF VEST.(Ephesians 6:14)
A. Ephesians 6:14… with the breastplate of righteousness in place,
B. A right standing with God is the first meaning of the word righteousness.
2 Corinthians 5:21For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ.
C. Righteousness also means right living.
D. In verse 14 God tells us to “put on the breastplate of righteousness.”
3. SHOES –LIVE YOUR LIFE IN AN UNSHAKEABLE PEACE.(Ephesians 6:15)
A. Ephesians 6:15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.
B. When we received the Gospel of Jesus Christ we received peace with God.
Romans 5:1Therefore, being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
C. Peace is not the absence of external trials and tribulations, but it is an internal confidence WHEN we are facing hard times.
1. Isaiah 30:15The Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says, ‘Only in returning to me and waiting for me will you be rescued.In quietness and confidence will be your strength.’
2. Proverbs 3:25-26Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be YOUR confidence and will keep your foot from being snared.
Action Steps for this week…
I will go to the Next Step Center and talk with a minister about receiving Christ as Savior.
I will hold on to the truths God has said about me.
When I am tempted to do wrong, I will purposely choose to obey God instead as a breastplate of righteousness.
I will find personal peace in my confidence in God.