It’s the con job that caused Jude to write the book of Jude.
Jude 1:11Woe to them!They have taken the way of Cain;they have rushed for profit into Balaam’s error;they have been destroyed in Korah’s rebellion.(NIV)
1. WE MUST CONTEND FOR OUR FAITH.
A. Our faith is worth defending.
1. Jude 1:3Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people.
2. The Greek word Jude uses here for “contend” means to protect and defend the Biblical doctrines of our faith.
3. Our Faith is not just that we believe in God, but it is what we believe about God, based entirely on the Bible not public opinion.
B. How are we to contend for our faith?
1. Take the time to learn what the Bible actually teaches.
Hebrews 5:14But solid food (of the Bible) is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.(NIV)
2. When someone attempts to abuse the truth of the Bible, in a loving way, speak up in defense of God’s Word.
a. Jude 1:4I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches, saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives. The condemnation of such people was recorded long ago, for they have denied our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.(NLT)
b. 1 Peter 3:15But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord.Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.But do this with gentleness and respect…
c. Today, there are more Christians being imprisoned for their faith than at any other time in Christian history.
d. The Voice of the Martyrs – firstname.lastname@example.org
2. WHAT TO GUARD AGAINST.
A. Jude 1:11What sorrow awaits them!For they follow in the footsteps of Cain, who killed his brother.Like Balaam, they deceive people for money.And like Korah, they perish in their rebellion.(NLT)
B. Cain sacrificed obedience to God for moral relativism.
1. 1 John 3:12Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother.And why did he murder him?Because his own actions were evil and his brother’s actions were righteous.
2. The way of guarding against the way of Cain, is to obey God’s Word instead of giving in to the culture around you.When we choose to call right wrong and wrong right we are being like Cain.But, when we choose to obey the Word of God no matter what others around us do, even if it means standing alone for right, we will always have the blessing of God on our lives and eventually, we will always come out on top.
C. Balaam compromised his core convictions because he was greedy.
1. How much are you willing to compromise your own heart and maybe your family on the altar of greed?How far will you go to get more things; what character will you give up to be promoted; what casualties are you willing to have in your life because of greed?
2. The way of Balaam is materialism.
3. The way to guard against the way of Balaam is generosity.If we loosen our grip on things, on stuff, on money and use what we have to bless others, it will be amazing how much good our money will create.
D. Korah led a rebellion because he wanted to be in control.
1. The way of Korah is a hunger for power stemming from pride.
2. Jude 1:8,10In the same way, these people—who claim authority from their dreams—live immoral lives, defy authority, and scoff at supernatural beings.10 But these people scoff at things they do not understand.Like unthinking animals, they do whatever their instincts tell them, and so they bring about their own harm.(NLT)
3. The way of guarding against the way of Korah is humility.
I will study His Word so that I can share and defend the faith in a respectful, gentle way.
I will obey His Word and stand for truth guarding against giving in to the culture.
I will follow Christ’s example of generosity and humility trusting Him in all areas of my life.