4 – My Part and God’s Part in Changing Me Jude 1:20-25
June 23, 2019 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
Jude 1:20-21, 24-25But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.21 Keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.24To God who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy-25 to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen. (NIV)
1. MY PART IN CHANGING MY LIFE.
A. We are saved by God’s grace not by our good deeds.(Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5)
Ephesians 2:8-9God saved you by His grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. (NLT)
B. We don’t work for our salvation.We work from our salvation.
C. Build up your faith.
1. Jude 1:20But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith…
2. Read the Word.
Romans 10:17So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. (NKJV)
3. Embrace being tested by God.
James 1:2-4Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be spiritually mature and complete, needing nothing.
4. Acts 20:32Now I commit you to God and to the Word of His grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. (NIV)
5. Every time you read and obey the Bible you are changing for the good and you are becoming stronger.
D. Pray in the Holy Spirit.
1. Jude 1:20 …pray in the Holy Spirit.
2. Let the Holy Spirit guide you to pray in accordance with God’s will.
3. “When you want what God wants, then you can have whatever you want.”
4. 1 Corinthians 2:9However, as it is written:“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him…”
5. Praying in the Holy Spirit is allowing Him to change you to want what God wants.
6. Romans 8:26-27In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27 And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’swill. (NIV)
E. Keep yourself in the love of God. (Jude 1:21)
1. Jude 1:21Keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.
2. Romans 8:38-39For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.(NIV)
3. What Jude is actually saying is, “Keep yourself in the place of God’s blessing.”
4. Hebrews 12:5…My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when He rebukes you, 6 because the Lord disciplines those He loves, and He punishes everyone He accepts as a son.
F. Reach Out to others.(Jude 1:22-23)
Jude 1:22-23And have mercy on some, who are doubting; 23 save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh.
2. GOD’S PART IN CHANGING ME.
A. Jude 1:24-25To God who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy-25 to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen
B. God gives us assurance of our salvation.
1. Jude 1:24God is able to keep you from falling…
2. Philippians 1:6 …being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (NIV)
3. 1 John 2:19They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us. (NIV)
4. John 10:27-29My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me.28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of My hand.29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; no onecan snatch them out of My Father’s hand.(NIV)
C. God gives us His Holy Spirit to indwell us.
1. Romans 8:11But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He …will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who indwells you.
2. 2 Corinthians 3:17-18For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.18 So all of us who have had that veil (of separation from God) removed can see and reflect the Glory of the Lord.And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like Him as we are changed into His glorious image. (NLT)
3. Philippians 2:13For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him. (NLT)
I will read the Bible a little every day this week.
I will open my heart to wanting what God wants for my life.
I will reach out to someone who does not know Jesus this week and invite that person to church.