Part 1 – A Better Way Of Living 1 Corinthians 13:1-8
January 9, 2022 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
A. There was a man in Pittsburgh, who needed some money. ….. This story is so bizarre that you be thinking that I am making it up, but it actually happened in 2007. Here is a picture of his $1,000,000 bill.
1 Corinthians 12:31 And I will show you an even better way.
1 Corinthians 14:1 Let love be your greatest goal.
1. WHY SHOULD LOVE BE THE GREATEST GOAL FOR MY LIFE?
A. Without love all that I say is empty. (1 Corinthians 13:1)
1 Corinthians 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
B. Without love all that I know is meaningless. (1 Corinthians 13:2)
1 Corinthians 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge… but have not love, I am nothing.
C. Without love my religion is phony. (1 Corinthians 13:2)
– 1. 1 Corinthians 13:2 If I have faith that can move mountains but have not love I am nothing.
– 2. Galatians 5:6 …The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. (NIV)
– 3. Faith is important but without love it has no power.
D. Without love, all that I give to others is insincere. (1 Corinthians 13:3)
1 Corinthians 13:3 If I give all I possess to the poor… but have not love, I gain nothing.
E. Without love, all that I accomplish is worthless. (1 Corinthians 13:3)
1 Corinthians 13:3 If I … surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
F. Relationships are more important than accomplishments in life.
2. IF THE GOAL IS LOVE, WHAT IS LOVE?
A. The Bible has three words for love.
– 1. Eros is the idea of physically intimate love.
– 2. Phileo is the idea of brotherly love or friendship.
– 3. Agape means a selfless kind of love, an endless and unconditional kind of love that is demonstrated by the character qualities of God.
1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. (NIV)
B. Agape love is the act of living out the character qualities of God in how we approach God and others.
C. How do we demonstrate a God kind of love?
1. Love is a decision not a feeling.
Colossians 3:14 Beyond all these things put on love... (NASB)
2. Love requires an action.
1 John 3:18 Dear children, let us stop just saying we love each other; let us really show it by our actions. (NLT)
D. 1 John 4:19 We love because He first loved us. (NIV)
E. Romans 5:5 …God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.