1 Corinthians 13:1-4aIf I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4a Love is patient,
1. WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT THAT WE DEVELOP PATIENCE IN OUR RELATIONSHIPS?
A. Every person is different. B. Perception doesn’t always mean reality.1 Corinthians 2:11No one can really know what anyone else is thinking or what he is really like, except that person himself.C. Patience will re-establish control in a negative situation.
1. Colossians 3:12-13Since God chose you to be the holy people whom He loves, you MUST clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. 13You MUST make allowance for each other’s faults and forgive the person who offends you.
2. Proverbs 15:1A soft answer turns away wrath.3. Ecclesiastes 7:8-9Finishing is better than starting! Patience is better than pride!9Don’t be quick-tempered – that is being foolish.
4. Proverbs 15:18A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel.
2. WHAT DOES PATIENCE LOOK LIKE?
A. Patience assumes the bestabout another person even if there isn’t enough evidence to do so.
1. Ephesians 4:1-2Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God. 2Be humble and gentle.Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love.
2. Philippians 4:8Think about things that are pure and lovely, and dwell on the fine, good things in others.
B. Patience remembers how patient God is with us. Romans 15:5-7May God, who gives patience and encouragement, help you live in complete harmony with each other — each with the attitude of Christ Jesus toward the other.6Then all of you can join together with one voice, giving praise and glory to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.7So accept each other just as Christ has accepted you; then God will be glorified.
C. Patience doesn’t just talk, it listens.
1. Proverbs 19:11A man’s wisdom gives him patience. 2. Proverbs 18:13Listen before you answer.If you don’t you are being both foolish and insulting.
D. Patience treats others the way we want to be treated.