February 27, 2022 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
1 Corinthians 13:4-5Love is patient, love is kind.It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
HOW DO WE RELEASE OUR HURT?
1. Admit that you are hurt.
1. Job 7:11I can’t be quiet.I’m angry and I’m bitter.I have to speak.
2. Job 10:1-2Listen to my bitter complaint.Don’t condemn me God…(TEV)
2. Identify those who hurt you.
3. Release the offense.
1. Job 42:10After Job prayed for his three friends, God made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had before.
2. Matthew 6:14-15For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
3. Why should you release your offender?
a. Because you can trust God to deal with your offenders.
Romans 12:19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.
b. Because God promises to take every offense you hand over to Him in order to accomplish His purpose in your life.
Romans 8:28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
c. Because forgiven people should forgive people.
Matthew 7:1-2Do not judge, or you too will be judged.2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
4. Forgiveness addresses the damages that have been done and walks away from it.
a. Real forgiveness relinquishes attempts to get even.
b. Real forgiveness decides to respond to evil with good.
Luke 6:27-28Do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you and pray for those who mistreat you.
c. Real forgiveness decides to let it go.
5. Forgiveness is given.Trust is earned.
4. Re-focus your life.
1. Job 11:13-16…devote your heart to God and stretch out your hands to Him,14 if you put away the sin that is in your hand and allow no evil to dwell in your tent,15 then you will lift up your face without shame; you will stand firm and without fear.16You will surely forget your trouble, recalling it only as waters gone by.
2. Sometimes, releasing the pain is a process.Sometimes forgiveness is layered.
Job 42:12God blessed the last part of Job’s life even more than He blessed the first.