1 Corinthians 13:6-7Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
The key to success in anything that lasts is consistency.
1. LOVE LASTS FOREVER WHEN WE CONSISTENTLY PROTECTTHE PEOPLE WE LOVE.(…love always protects…)
A. By sharing in their hurt and help.
1. Proverbs 17:17A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
2. Philippians 1:27Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as oneperson for the faith of the gospel…
B. By telling them the truth in love.
Proverbs 27:6Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
2. LOVE LASTS FOREVER WHEN WE BUILD A SOLID TRUST. (…love always trusts…)
Four things that grows trust:
1. We keep our promises.
2. We do not take wrongful advantage of another.
3. We do the right thing even when no one is watching.
4. We do these things consistently over time.
3. LOVE LASTS FOREVER WHEN WE CONTINUALLY FEED HOPE TO THE FRIENDSHIP.(…love always hopes…)
A. Hope: the desire and search for a future good, that is difficult but not impossible to attain with God’s help.(American Heritage Dictionary)
B. Focus on the positives instead of the negatives.
1. Philippians 4:8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy –think about such things.
2. Proverbs 4:23-25Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.24 Put away perversity from your mouth;keep corrupt talk far from your lips.25 Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.
C. Have a willingness for restoration.
Colossians 3:13Be gentle and ready to forgive; never hold grudges.Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. (TLB)
D. Choose to look to the future when the present is doubtful.
2 Corinthians 4:8-9, 16-18We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.,16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, buton what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
4. LOVE LASTS FOREVER WHEN WE REFUSE TO QUIT. (…love always perseveres…)
I refuse to give in to my own selfishness…
I refuse to give into despair…
I refuse to quit loving…
With God as my strength, I will keep on keeping on in what I know is right.This is perseverance.