MAKE YOUR LIFE COUNT
Part 2 – Why Being Involved in Church Makes You a Better Person
August 11, 2019
Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
1. WE HAVE A SPIRITUAL FAMILY.
A. John 1:12 … To all who received Christ, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God. (NIV)
To be God’s child you have to be born again. (John 1:12; John 3:5-7)
B. Ephesians 2:19 … You are a member of God’s very own family … and you belong in God’s household with every other Christian.
1. Revelation 7:9 After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb (of God). (NIV)
2. Ethnic prejudice makes no sense for a follower of Christ.
2. WHY IS THIS NEW FAMILY SO IMPORTANT TO OUR DEEPENING RELATIONSHIP TO GOD?
A. We were never intended to live this Christian life alone.
1. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, 12 Two are better off than one …. 10 If one of them falls down, the other can help him up. But if someone is alone and falls, it’s just too bad, because there is no one to help him…. 12 Two can resist an attack that would defeat one alone. A rope made of three cords is hard to break.
2. Romans 12:5b …Christ makes us one Body and individuals who are connected to each other. (GW)
3. Romans 12:5 “The Body we’re talking about is Christ’s body of chosen people. Each of us finds our meaning and function as a part of His Body. But as a chopped-off finger or cut-off toe we wouldn’t amount to much.” (The Message, paraphrase)
B. We need encouragement to grow spiritually.
Hebrews 10:25 Let us not give up the habit of meeting together, as some are doing. Instead, let us encourage one another….
C. We need other believers to sharpen our lives.
Proverbs 27:17 People learn from one another just as iron sharpens iron.
D. The church helps us center our life around God.
When we come to church regularly and consistently, we are far more likely to stay centered.
3. WHAT IS GOD ASKING US TO DO?
A. Gather with our spiritual family for Worship on a regular basis.
B. Be in a Connect Group in which you develop lifelong friends.
C. Find a way to Serve others as they are serving you. Get involved in a ministry either on Sunday or during the week.
D. Share Jesus with others and invite others to church.