Part 3 – The Angels Remind Us of Who Jesus Is Luke 2:8-14
December 20, 2020 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
Hebrews 13:2Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. (NIV)
A. Lucifer was the most powerful of the angels, but he rebelled against God and fell from his position.We now call him Satan.
B. Michael is the angel for the people of God throughout the Bible.
C. Gabriel seems to always be connected to the Messiah.
1. WHAT DOES THE BIBLE TEACH US ABOUT ANGELS?
A. Angels are real.
B. Job 38:4-7 tells us that angels were created before God created the universe.
C. Angels do not age and they do not die.
D. Angels are more powerful than people.They are intelligent, can communicate, they are aware of history and sometimes are even given knowledge about the future.
E. Angels can be invisible to us, but they can also appear to us when they need to do so.
Hebrews 13:2Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels withoutknowing it. (NIV)
F. Angels in the Bible are usually male but in Zechariah 5:9, the angel was a female.
G. There are perhaps billions of angels and while some of them, called Cherubim and Seraphim, are mentioned to be around the throne of God, most of the angels are connected to us by helping us in need.
– 1. Matthew 18:10-11“Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.”(Jesus)
– 2. Hebrews 1:14Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?
– 3. Every Christ follower is being assisted by one or more angels during our life.
2. ANGELS HELP US TO BETTER UNDERSTAND CHRISTMAS.
A. Luke 2:8-14Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night.9 And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid.10 Then the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people.11 For there is born unto you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.12 And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.’13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: 14 ‘Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!’(NKJV)
B. Unto you is born a Savior.(Luke 2:11)
– 1. We all feel the weight of the wrong things we have done.
– 2. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believed in Him would not perish but have everlasting life.(John 3:16)
C. The “Glory of the Lord” means who God is in His Known Presence.
D. Luke 2:13-14Suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: 14 ‘Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!’