Part 3 – What The Bible Teaches About Supernatural Healing James 5:14-16
November 8, 2020 Dr. Mark S. Hartman, Lead Pastor
James 5:14-16Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. (NIV)
1. Where does sickness come from?
A. Sickness can be the result of violating God’s laws of nature and morals.
1. Exodus 15:26And He said, “If you will give earnest heed to the voice of the LORD your God, and do what is right in His sight, and give ear to His commandments, and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have put on the Egyptians; for I, the LORD, am your healer.”
2. “For most Americans, going to church reduced mortality rates by 20-30 percent over a fifteen-year period.Research suggests that those who regularly attend services are more optimistic, have lower rates of depression, are less likely to commit suicide, have a greater purpose in life, are less likely to divorce, and are more self-controlled. (Source: Tyler VanderWeele and John Siniff, “Religion may be a miracle drug,” USA Today)
B. Sickness is also the result of living in a fallen world.
2. WHEN WE ARE SICK, WHAT ARE WE TO DO?(James 5:14-15)
A. James 5:14Is anyone among you sick?Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
B. The word translated “sick” means a serious illness.
C. James gives us four prescribed steps to follow.
1. Let him call for elders.
2. The elders are to anoint the person with oil.
a. The oil is to be used as a symbol of faith in the God’s ability to heal.
b. The oil is a symbol of faith but not a guarantee for healing.
3. Pray in the name of the Lord.
The Name of the Lord means, “After His purpose.”
4. Pray in faith.
Faith is the trusting obedience to the revealed will of God.
D. James 5:15And the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.